Learn new skills
Meet other high achieving students
Make new friends
WINCHESTER : 14-17 years : Pre-University
Pre-University - a challenging programme to help you prepare for future university and career choices.
Levels: upper-intermediate to proficiency (CEFR B2 - C2)
16 July - 6 August 2018 (1, 2 or 3 weeks)
Winchester College lies just outside the historic walls of Winchester. Founded in 1382, it is one of Britain's leading academic independent schools.
The founder went on to set up New College, Oxford. The historic buildings offer a tranquil environment in private secluded grounds.
Winchester is 100km south west of London and approximately 1.5 hours by road from London Heathrow and Gatwick.
Facilities include the 14th century oak-panelled College Hall, a theatre, a sports centre with 25m 6-lane swimming pool
and sports hall, playing fields, cricket pitches, tennis and squash courts.
Lessons take place on campus or at a nearby school in the Cathedral Close, a five minute walk away.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAMME?
- 22.5 hours' tuition per week divided into Majors, Minors, Academic Workshops and end-of-week presentations
- Maximum class size: 16 international students
- Select a Major and a Minor each week (see below) taught by specialist tutors
- To gain maximum benefit from the programme, we recommend students have at least an upper-intermediate level of English (B2)
- Whatever subjects you choose - our innovative teaching team ensure you improve your English through research, collaboration and debate
- Mentoring: advice available on university pathways from our experienced team
- By developing critical thinking, decision-making and communication skills, you will become a more confident leader
- Weekly Academic Workshops offer additional learning opportunities on a range of topics e.g. British history and culture, complex problem-solving, presentation skills
- Guest lecturers invited to talk on stimulating topic areas e.g. global politics, art and architecture
- Winchester is an interesting, historic city and used as a natural extension of the classroom. Responsible students may go out in small groups on some afternoons to explore
and enjoy the lively shops and cafes.
- Excursions: 2 excursions per week e.g. London (West End musical, Westminster tour, Globe Theatre tour, London museums and galleries),
Bristol (Banksy tour, dockside), Oxford (design factory visit, guided walking tour, punting), outdoor adventure park
- Afternoon Activities: A range of afternoon activities including sports (e.g. football
tennis, swimming), creative arts (e.g. pointillism, art installation, jazz/swing dance, rap), team challenges (e.g. business case studies,
survival skills, charity committee)
- Evening Activities: Talent show, ceilidh, casino night, Sherlock Holmes mystery night, BBQ and weekly discos at the
Univeristy of Winchester are some of the exciting evening activities on offer
- PLUS: Lots of opportunities to practise English with our English Student Hosts.
ACCOMMODATION AND SUPERVISION
- Spacious, comfortable bedrooms with 1-8 beds and shared bathrooms. As Winchester is an historic, traditional, boys' school do not expect 5 star accommodation!
- Close supervision by resident staff
- Meals are taken in the historic 14th century College Hall
- Full board
- WiFi available (at specific times).
- Find out more about Welfare and Accommodation
DATES & FEES
Click here for 2018 dates and fees